Graham Roberts

Graham Roberts joined his local club, Southampton, as an associate schoolboy in October 1973, but was released without making his mark and he joined local rivals Portsmouth in March 1977. He was sold to Dorchester Town where he impressed before joining Weymouth.

From there he was sold to Tottenham Hotspur in May 1980 for £35,000.

Roberts was a hard tackling central defender and became an integral part of the hugely successful Tottenham Hotspur side of the early 1980s, winning two FA Cups including the 1981 final where he lost three teeth in a challenge, but refused to leave the field and carried on.

He was also a member of the UEFA Cup winning team in 1984, scoring in the second leg of the final against Anderlecht, and then scoring his penalty as Spurs won the final in a shootout.

He moved to Rangers in 1986 for £450,000 and won the Scottish Premier Division in his first full season and the Scottish League Cup a year later.

He joined Chelsea in August 1988 for £475,000 and helped the side win the Second Division championship in 1988–89. He later moved to West Bromwich Albion, where he played out the remainder of his professional career.

Graham also won six full caps for England and one for the England B team. In all he made 436 senior professional appearances, 209 of them for Spurs, scoring a total of 58 goals, 23 for Tottenham.

During the 1990s he managed Enfield and Yeovil and then in June 2005, he was appointed manager of Clyde. He only had three players under contract at that time but having held open trials he brought success to the team – possibly their greatest day in their history – when his side defeated Celtic in the Scottish Cup in January 2006. Earlier that season, Clyde had taken Rangers to extra time at Ibrox Stadium in the Scottish League Cup.

In September 2010, he was hired as consultant to the Pakistan national football team to assist the coaching staff and was subsequently appointed as head coach the following month.

He then joined the Nepal national football team in January 2011 but he stepped down as coach after a 3-0 defeat to Turkmenistan in the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup.

Comments are closed.